Buying Medicines Online Can Be Dangerous and Deadly, Learn How to Stay Safe and Save Money
There is a growing trend toward the digitalization of the healthcare industry, including increased utilization of telemedicine and the purchase of medications online. Yet, a majority of Americans do not understand the prevalence of illegal online pharmacies or their inherent dangers, putting their health at risk.
At any given time, 95% of the roughly 35,000 online pharmacies worldwide operate illegally. These sites threaten American lives by selling medicines without a prescription, operating without a license, and peddling fake drugs, often containing dangerous – even deadly— ingredients like fentanyl, mercury, paint thinner, antifreeze and other poisons.
And now the COVID-19 pandemic provides a new opportunity for online criminals looking to exploit consumer fears about the virus for profit. The number of malicious websites is exploding- with the sole purpose of scamming patients with fake COVID-19 cures and treatments.
ASOP Global has collected the resources below from credible sources to help you stay informed and avoid falling victim to COVID-19 scams and misinformation.
- Coronavirus Advice for Consumers – Avoid COVID-19 Scams – Federal Trade Commission
- Tracking COVID-19 Scams – Partnership for Safe Medicines
- COVID-19 Data Tracker – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- About the COVID-19 Vaccine – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Continuing the Journey of a COVID-19 Vaccine – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Ensuring the Safety of COVID-19 Vaccines in the United States – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- COVID-19 Vaccines: Myth Versus Fact – Johns Hopkins Medicine
Fake medicines contribute to up to one million deaths each year worldwide. What’s more, buying from illegal online pharmacies increases the risk of credit card and identity theft. Even so, nearly 55% of Americans report they have or would buy medicine online, usually for convenience or cost reasons. The scary part is, less than 5% of people know how to find safe pharmacy sites online.
But you can stay safe and save money. And ASOP Global can help. Use the tools and resources below to keep you and your family safe – and keep your costs down.